[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: traffic shaping + brigde
 Date:  Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:18:54 -0500
Alexandre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This was previously posted on this list, unanswered. Traffic shaping does
> not work with bridges. I tried with 1.11 and 1.2b3
>
> fxp0 is the WAN interface which is bridged with OPT1. Shaping is applied
> on the WAN interface, for outbound traffic. This is the result of ipfw
> show:
>
> 50002     0       0 queue 3 tcp from any 23 to any out via fxp0
> 50003     0       0 queue 3 icmp from any to any out via fxp0
> 50004    87   75584 queue 4 ip from any to any out via fxp0
>
> As you can see, packets are matched by the "any" rule, but not by my other
> rules which are supposed to match telnet and icmp !
>
> Any idea ? Maybe this is a bug in Freebsd 4.1 rather than monowall ?
>
> According to the freebsd handbook, traffic shaping with bridges requires
> the DUMMYNET option in the kernel. I couldnt find this option in the
> monowall config but I see the message "DUMMYNET initialized" in dmesg.

I did extensive testing of this last night. Traffic Shaping does indeed
work on 1.11 over a bridge. But you have to check the box in
    Advanced -> Enable Filtering Bridge

I was able to throttle my 1.5M DSL bandwidth down to 20k using the traffic
shaper over this bridge.

However, I couldn't get bridging to work at all under 1.2b3. YMMV.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,