[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "D. Ubevidste" <detubevidste at gmail dot com>
 To:  Boyce Ezell <boyceezell at yahoo dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP Relay across an IPSEC VPN
 Date:  Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:07:29 -0500
Boyce, thanks for your well-intentioned response.  I will be more
specific with what I am asking.

 - I have a remote location at which we will not support any servers,
has no backup facilities, etc. I.e., no standalone server.
 - We are currently using m0n0wall as a dhcp server there. We would
prefer to use the remote DHCP server at the other end of a VPN tunnel,
for various reasons which are, for the purpose of this question,
non-negotiable.
 - I am aware that I have many options (e.g., by  mac address or
captive portal ) to limit who gets valid DHCP.

Please note: DHCP relay works by creating a _unicast_ forward to the
DHCP server containing the DHCP request, so the routing limitations of
broadcast does not play into this at all.

Core question:
 - Can the m0n0wall route its DHCP relay unicasts to a host at the
other end of a DHCP tunnel?

Evidence for yes:
 - The DHCP server, at the far end of the tunnel, can ping the LAN IP
of the m0n0wall

Evidence against yes:
-Pings from the m0n0wall to the DHCP server are (incorrectly, to my
mind) routed out the WAN interface instead of into the IPSEC tunnel

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed some light on this, or
anyone with an explanation for the seeming contraindications of this
evidence.

thanks,

du