[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Max Khitrov <mkhitrov at umd dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PowerEdge SC420 with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:08:11 -0500
This is for my home, I know it's overkill for m0n0wall, but you can
never have too many extra servers around :)
Not to mention that I'm planning on upgrading my network to gigabit
soon, and this thing will be connecting two separate subnets, so I need
something that won't slow things down in between.

Anyway, would sata be the only point of concern? If that's the case,
then I could just as easily swap the drives when I get this and put in a
regular ATA. I'm more concerned about the onboard nic, cause that I
can't replace and I have to be sure that it will be recognized by
m0n0wall and also be able to run in full-duplex gigabit mode. That's the
most important part.

Also on that note, say I have my main subnet connected to the onboard
gigabit nic, my WAN (Cable modem) to a PCI nic, and my DMZ to a 2nd PCI
gigabit card. Now as far as I know PCI can do gigabit, but just barely
(32/8*33.3*1,000,000/1,048,576=127.2 MBytes/second, right?). So what
happens to my internet connection if I have a lot of traffic between the
LAN and DMZ? That'll be pretty much taking up most of the PCI bandwidth,
will it not? So when in the middle of this I have other computers who
need to get to the outside, will they experience any slowdowns? Just
haven't ever experimented with things like this. I would very much like
to separate a few computers (mainly my servers) from the main network,
but if the traffic between my file server and my workstations will cause
problems, then I may have to come up with an alternate solution and take
the m0n0wall out of the loop - just use it as my gateway between LAN and
WAN. The SC420 actually has one PCIe 1x slot and an 8x slot, but I don't
think there are any PCIe NICs out there...

Any tips appreciated on this.