[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Re: known issues with 1.2b3
 Date:  Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:26:33 -0500
Matchstick wrote:

> Jesse Guardiani wrote:

>>>Your statement would seem to contradict my findings on my
>>>Soekris 4801 regarding bridging and 1.2b3. Perhaps my problem
>>>is hardware related? Or maybe kernel related? Was a required
>>>option left out of the 1.2b3 4801 kernel?
>>

>> BTW, here's a post supporting my findings with bridging on 1.2b3:
>>     http://tinyurl.com/6mpbl
>>
>> He never mentions what his hardware platform is though.
>
> That's very odd as I havent had a single problem with filtered bridging
> itself on the Wrap (only when combined with Traffic Shaping).
>
> Unfortunately I dont have any other platforms available at the moment to
> play with so I can't test anything else at the moment.

Do you have an IP listed on your WAN interface? If not, then that probably
accounts for the discrepancy. All of my tests up until tonight have been
performed *with* a static IP bound to the WAN interface and the WAN interface
bridged to the OPT1 interface. Before tonight, I couldn't figure out how to
configure the WAN interface without some sort of IP. However, tonight I
found that if I remove the IP from the WAN interface (currently requires
either editing a blank config from scratch or manually editing the
config.xml file on another machine and restoring the config) then I can
get filtered bridging working under 1.2b3. In addition, removing the IP
fixes the problem I was having with the bridge not acting completely
transparent. Take a look at this thread for the details:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall/13376

And here's were I posted my resolution to the problem:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall/13435

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,