[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matchstick <matchstick at oofg dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: known issues with 1.2b3
 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:15:11 +0000
On Monday, February 7, 2005, 4:26:33 AM, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net> wrote:

JG> Matchstick wrote:

>> Jesse Guardiani wrote:

>>> BTW, here's a post supporting my findings with bridging on 1.2b3:
>>>     http://tinyurl.com/6mpbl
>>>
>>> He never mentions what his hardware platform is though.
>>
>> That's very odd as I havent had a single problem with filtered bridging
>> itself on the Wrap (only when combined with Traffic Shaping).
>>
>> Unfortunately I dont have any other platforms available at the moment to
>> play with so I can't test anything else at the moment.

JG> Do you have an IP listed on your WAN interface? If not, then that probably
JG> accounts for the discrepancy. All of my tests up until tonight have been
JG> performed *with* a static IP bound to the WAN interface and the WAN interface
JG> bridged to the OPT1 interface. Before tonight, I couldn't figure out how to
JG> configure the WAN interface without some sort of IP. However, tonight I
JG> found that if I remove the IP from the WAN interface (currently requires
JG> either editing a blank config from scratch or manually editing the
JG> config.xml file on another machine and restoring the config) then I can
JG> get filtered bridging working under 1.2b3. In addition, removing the IP
JG> fixes the problem I was having with the bridge not acting completely
JG> transparent. Take a look at this thread for the details:
JG>
JG> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall/13376

JG> And here's were I posted my resolution to the problem:
JG>
JG> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.firewalls.m0n0wall/13435

Interestingly I *DO* have a static IP listed on my WAN interface.

<wan>
   <if>sis1</if>
   <mtu/>
   <ipaddr>x.x.x.175</ipaddr>
   <subnet>28</subnet>
   <gateway>x.x.x.173</gateway>
   <blockpriv/>
   <dhcphostname/>
</wan>

I'll have a try with your solution of removing the IP address when I
get some time either tonight or tomorrow.

BTW you mentioned in another mail that we should collect a list of
Wrap board and BIOS version so, according to the boot-up screen my Wrap
board is
PC Engines WRAP.1C v1.0
tinyBIOS V1.4a (C)1997-2003 PC Engines

Thanks