[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jordon Hofer" <bsdlist at sirjorj dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall behind a satellite connection
 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:16:11 -0600
Greetings.  I am having some strange issues running m0n0wall on a Soekris
net4511 behind a direcway satellite modem.  If I connect a computer (with
DHCP enabled) straight to the modem, the computer gets configured with a
gateway of a.b.c.d, an IP address of a.b.c.(d+1), and a netmask of
255.255.255.252.  From my understanding, this means this end of the
satellite connection is a subnet with 2 valid IP addresses: the one of the
modem itself, and the one for your device behind the modem.  Well, when the
computer is plugged in with DHCP, the system works well.  If I put the
m0n0wall box behind the modem, web pages either take a lot longer to load or
do not load at all.  Initially, we had this problem and a call to their tech
support revealed that they do not recommend setting your end of the network
to DHCP - they want you to set the addresses statically.  I did this a while
back and it seemed to work well for a while.  Recently, this problem has
appeared again.  My first thought was that the ISP changed their DNS
servers, so I noted the addresses that the computer pulled using DHCP and
compared them to the addresses set in m0n0wall.  They matched.

I am mainly wondering if there are some special settings needed for running
behind a satellite connection due to the extremely high latency.

thank you

jorj