[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dmitry Sorokin <dimon at intellinet dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall behind a satellite connection
 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:40:22 -0700
Hi Jordon,

Our school that is located in rural area is using the same Direcway satellite
service. It's one of the worst internet services you can get (but if you're in
rural are you don't have choices, eh?). Once, when I had problems with internet
I called their tech support and figured out that they have so called FAP (Fair
Acces Policy). That means that if you're downloading too much (more than 20
Mb/hour) they are slowing down you to zero. That's when you start getting time
outs and problems with internet. So what theu suggest if you are over limit
(you can figure it out on you account page), just stop using the internet for
couple of hours and then watch how much you're downloading and try not to go
over 20 MB/hour. That sounds stupid, but considering that Direcway is intended
for personal use (read one computer per site), I guess it should be OK for most
of the users.

Hope that help,
Dmitry