[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: known issues with 1.2b3
 Date:  Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:26:48 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, michael hamerski wrote:

> bridging also tends to bring out problems on some buggy nics/drivers, I
> remember fustration trying to set up my first openbsd filtering bridge
> using a TI card which was known NOT to work bridged, as always, RTFM first.

Since bridging requires running the NIC in promiscuous mode, one would
expect trouble with any NIC that has trouble with that.  In addition, NICs
that impose a lot of per-packet overhead on the CPU may work much more
poorly when the CPU has to process PM traffic.  Putting such a NIC behind
a switch may help.

					Fred Wright