[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: Re: M0n0wall v1.2b3 in Bridge Mode
 Date:  Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:46:44 -0500
Brian Watters wrote:

> Ok .. So this would go along way to explaining why placing rules on the
> WAN interface allowed traffic to flow to the LAN,

Not sure what you mean by that as I haven't followed the instructions
in my setup. I made mine from scratch...

> the directions clearly
> show an IP on the WAN interface .. So you are saying that if I remove the
> IP altogether from the WAN interface I should be able to only have rules
> applied to the bridged interface ? .. (i.e. WAN/OPT1) and still be able to
> have an IP on a LAN interface?

Yes. And you should then be able to have ANY combination of subnets on either
end of your WAN/OPT1 bridge. The m0n0wall will no longer try to perform any
sort of routing internally on the bridge interface because the bridge doesn't
actually have an IP.

> .. If this is the case then the DOC's need
> a major rewrite or a fix needs to be in place for 1.2.b4

We'll see what Chris, Manuel, and anyone else who wants to verify my claims
finds. I've been proven wrong before. Quite recently, actually. We need to
make sure this isn't a repeat performance first. :)