[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jason J. Ellingson" <jason at ellingson dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dynamic DNS
 Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:57:45 -0500
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:31:33 -0600, Jason J. Ellingson
<jason at ellingson dot com> wrote:
> I have MS DNS servers running and was wondering if anyone had a way for m0n0
> to update a record?
> I see m0n0 has a "RFC 2163 Dynamic DNS updates" option now, but no
> documentation on it.  I wonder if it can be used to update a stand-alone MS
> W2K Server running DNS?

Doesn't look like it.  Windows 2000 DNS server doesn't appear to be
RFC 2163 compliant.  The back end of that appears to be BIND's
nsupdate if that might help any.

Found this post:

Someone from Microsoft sent me mail the other day saying:

> When nsupdate sends a query for a SOA record of a non-existing name and
> Windows 2000 is authoritative for that name, the nsupdate fails to parse
> servers response.
> Windows 2000 DNS server returns NXDOMAIN with
> SOA record of an authoritative zone (in Authority section) and
> A record of the primary name server specified in the SOA record (in the
> Additional section).
> It looks like the nsupdate can't parse this Additional section.
> Since nsupdate fails to parse the response, it fails the update. Thus,
> nsupdate cannot be used to update a Windows 2000 DNS server.

But that was September 1999, so things may have changed since then.

If you give it a shot, I'd love to hear the results.  It's on my list
of things to check out, but that's a pretty long list.