[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Josh McAllister <josh at bluehornet dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall (E-mail)" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New Name for Alias
 Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:45:38 -0500
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:12:14 -0800, Josh McAllister <josh at bluehornet dot com> wrote:
> How about:
> "Hosts" Or "Host Aliases"

I thought about that, but they could also be networks, and "Host and
Network Aliases" is probably too long for the left side.  :)

> Perhaps it could even be stored as /etc/hosts and parsed from there...
> this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Of course I'm sure someone would
> complain that they did not want these "aliases" to affect name
> resolution... but for most I think it would be an added benefit.

You probably don't want that affecting name resolution.  Especially
when you can put networks in aliases and /etc/hosts isn't going to
like that (though I don't know if it'd have any adverse affects, I
don't like the idea of it).  The DNS overrides puts things in
/etc/hosts already.

-Chris