[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Monowall \(E-mail\)'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] New Name for Alias
 Date:  Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:49:58 -0500
Josh McAllister wrote:
> How about:
> "Hosts" Or "Host Aliases"
>
> Perhaps it could even be stored as /etc/hosts and parsed from
there...
> this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Of course I'm sure someone
would
> complain that they did not want these "aliases" to affect name
> resolution... but for most I think it would be an added benefit.
>
> Thoughts?

I specifically avoided the name "Hosts" to avoid an implied name
resolution conflict. I don't think the same sub-system handles name
resolution and these "aliases".

The following is what I think, I could be wrong.  The aliases were
created as a mechanism to simplify rule creation/management in the
WebGUI, nothing more. When the config.xml is parsed, the aliases in
the rule sets are replaced with the IP address from the alias entries.
This is why the output of ipnat and ipfstat does not mention the
aliases.

My personal favorite would be "Placeholder" or "IP Placeholder".
"Pseudonym" and "nom de plume" were just entries that popped up when I
had Word2003 lookup "alias" in the thesaurus. Does anyone know the
French word for address? We could have "name of address" or "nom de
<insert French for address>".

James W. McKeand