[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Daniel L. Hunter" <dhunter at TechMethods dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DHCP Weirdness
 Date:  Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:44:13 -0500
First, please forgive my ignorance.  I'm a programmer, not a network
guy.  And before I get flamed, I did search the archives and didn't find
anything relevant to my problem.

I'm testing out m0n0wall on a WRAP board.  During this testing phase
there is only one machine on the LAN side while the rest of my network
(~ 10 machines) is on the WAN side.  I have a DSL connection using an
Efficient 5861 DMT Router.  DHCP is enabled on the DSL router.  Several
of the machines on the WAN side are getting their IP from the DSL DHCP
server.  The WAN interface on the m0n0wall is set up as Type=Static.
The DHCP server on the m0n0wall is not enabled.  In other words, I don't
want m0n0wall to have anything to do with distributing IP addresses.
M0n0wall's WAN interface has a static IP address as will the machines on
the LAN side.

The problem I'm having is that when the m0n0wall is connected to the
network, it seems to take all of the leases from the DSL DHCP server and
knock the rest of the  DHCP enabled machines on the WAN side off the
network.

Has anybody else seen this?  Am I missing something?  Is this just a
simple configuration issue?

Thanks,

Danny

Daniel L. Hunter