[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Daniel L. Hunter" <dhunter at techmethods dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP Weirdness
 Date:  Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:15:36 -0500
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:44:13 -0500, Daniel L. Hunter
<dhunter at techmethods dot com> wrote:
> First, please forgive my ignorance.  I'm a programmer, not a network
> guy.  And before I get flamed, I did search the archives and didn't find
> anything relevant to my problem.
>
> I'm testing out m0n0wall on a WRAP board.  During this testing phase
> there is only one machine on the LAN side while the rest of my network
> (~ 10 machines) is on the WAN side.  I have a DSL connection using an
> Efficient 5861 DMT Router.  DHCP is enabled on the DSL router.  Several
> of the machines on the WAN side are getting their IP from the DSL DHCP
> server.  The WAN interface on the m0n0wall is set up as Type=Static.
> The DHCP server on the m0n0wall is not enabled.  In other words, I don't
> want m0n0wall to have anything to do with distributing IP addresses.
> M0n0wall's WAN interface has a static IP address as will the machines on
> the LAN side.
>
> The problem I'm having is that when the m0n0wall is connected to the
> network, it seems to take all of the leases from the DSL DHCP server and
> knock the rest of the  DHCP enabled machines on the WAN side off the
> network.

Somebody posted something similar within the past couple months, iirc.
 I don't believe any answer was given.  Can't say that I've seen it
myself.  I believe the other person that reported this was using DHCP
on the WAN, which makes this at least a little more feasible.

Have you been able to sniff the network to see what's going on?  If
you can tcpdump to a file while it's doing this and email me the data,
maybe I can see something in the output.

Technically this shouldn't be feasible.  Even if m0n0wall requested an
IP from DHCP a billion times, the DHCP server should only give it one
since it should always be requested from the same MAC address.

-Chris