[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chuck Mariotti" <cmariotti at hr dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Help to Traffic Shape and Priotize SMTP Traffic / others
 Date:  Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:15:09 -0500
Our company conducts a lot of Mass Emailing to our website membership. When we do a mass emailing,
the SMTP servers go nutz and basically use up all of the bandwidth. In these cases, our employees
can't get out onto the web, people can't get onto our web site, etc... It litteraly brings
everything to a crawl (BTW our membership DB is about 150,000 people). So mailing them takes a few
hours.

How can I make all SMTP related connections the lowest priority on the DSL connection so that all
the other services continue to work? I can't seem to find a how-to or any information specific to
making SMTP low priority. I need this to be the case for inbound and outbound SMTP connections.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck M