[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on Ebay
 Date:  Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:49:53 -0500
Henning Wangerin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 20:22, Jake S wrote:
>> Its really sad when you start seeing this sort of thing showing up
>> on Ebay.
>
> Why?
>
> What's the difference between that and someone selling any other OS
on
> discs?
>
> As Tim writes the only potential problem is the logo.
> But that is the the copyright issues on that?
>
> If I deside to advertise (in print or web) that I setup routers
based
> on m0n0wall, and use the logo would that be a violation?
> - and what's the difference to selling iso's via eg ebay? I don't
see
> any difference at all. Just a different distribution/marketing
> channel.

I can understand not having the bandwidth (or patience) to download
the MANY full-sized (650MB) ISOs needed to get a full set of some
Linux Distro's (Mandrake is 3 - Debian is 6 or 7). Fedora even offers
a DVD ISO - it is huge > 4GB. But if someone cannot download a 5MB ISO
and burn to a CDRom - they really deserve to pay $0.99 (plus $2.42 to
$4.85 for shipping) to buy a disk.

Also, note delivery to US only... And no shipping insurance - what if
the disk arrives in splinters?

If someone asked really nice and was willing to send me a few bucks I
might even consider mailing a disk to them. Even better, if someone
sent me a CD mailer with return postage affixed and a blank CD-R, I
might burn the disk and return it. (with no guarantee of arrival
condition ;-)

Just being cheeky... is it beer:30 yet?

James W. McKeand