[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "build" <build02 at datafast dot net dot au>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] HDD install hangs when booting]
 Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:44:09 +0800 (WST)
Thanks Atle and Chris,

The CD is OK, it boots on one of the new MB's and on my PC.

I got 2 more MB's today. Updated all the bios, set defaults then PnP OS to
"NO", Boot to "Conly". 2 seem to work well except when I attach a HDD or
CD containing Mono.

I installed W95 on 3 HDD's and networked them, they worked fine on all
MB's. I installed Mono on those same HDD's and attached them, 2 fail to
boot and just hang.

One boots to the Mono menu, I assigned a network port for the LAN using
the "a" option, and left the rest as defaults because Mono can't see the
WAN, as I need to connect through a MS PPTP VPN, and add a route through
the gatway to the PPTP server and then a default route. However no matter
what I try no other PC's on the network can ping it (Debian, WinME,
WinXP).  I've tried using DHCP but they don't get an IP so the IP is in
the 169.xxx range. I tried without DHCP, same.

I did notice the switch see's the NIC as full 100 during boot but reverts
to 10 when mono boots. Is that normal?

This is frustrating! I've searched the archive till my eyes are sore, to
no avail. So I guess this is either something I'm doing or unique to my
motherboards.

Any suggestions to get the MB's to boot or the NIC setup *greatly*
appreciated.

Lindsay

<build02 at datafast dot net dot au> wrote:

>>I bought an old pentium motherboard (GA-586T2) and a pentium 100 CPU,
put 64MB of RAM in it and installed mono 1.11 on a 120MB HDD using
>>physdiskwrite thanks to the excellent guide. I set the bios to boot "C
only". When booted up it hangs after recognizing the HDD and
>>reading/writing to it for a second or two.
>>
>>The same thing happens when I try a CDROM install. Put the CDROM on
Primary master, set bios to boot from "CDROM,A,C". Hangs after reading
CDROM.

>>There is no beeps or error message, it just hangs.
>>
>>Same computer installs and boots to DOS and also IPCOP.
>>
>>Could this be a bios setting somewhere?
>>

> I'd guess BIOS setting first.  First try resetting it to defaults (if
that's an option) and setting plug and play OS to no.  Upgrading the
BIOS, if that's an option, might also help.