[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 10% packet loss when pinging m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:02:55 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Tim Vaughan wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out why my internet connection is dropping
> and reckon it's probably the modem I'm using.  However, I have tried
> pinging my m0n0wall router and am getting packet loss on the order of
> 10% (2% minimum and up to 19% at times).  Here's one example:
>
> --- m0n0wall.thm ping statistics ---
> 88 packets transmitted, 80 received, 9% packet loss, time 111788ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.627/0.714/0.781/0.036 ms
>
> I don't get this when pinging other machines on my lan but do get it
> when pinging hosts on the internet.  Does anyone have any idea why
> this is happening?  I'm using 1.2b3 on a net 4521.  I haven't tried
> swapping the LAN and WAN network interfaces over - is that likely to
> make a difference?

I had that problem (on a 4501) at one point.  After a reboot the problem
would go away for "a while" (maybe a couple of of hours IIRC).  That led
me to suspect software, but after backing out all config changes from that
timeframe without fixing it, I finally discovered that it only happened
when the 4501 was plugged into one particular port of one particular
switch.  However, that switch port works fine with another device, leading
me to suspect the "short-cable problem" (combined with subtle electrical
differences).  The current implementation of the "short-cable fix" in the
FreeBSD driver is incorrect and probably a NOP.

Try a longer cable or a different switch port.

					Fred Wright