[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "build" <build02 at datafast dot net dot au>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Clients can't see m0n0 (new install)
 Date:  Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:33:52 +0800 (WST)
G'day all,

I now have mono installed on a HDD on a Socket 370 running a celeron 500,
256MB RAM with 3 NIC's.

However the clients on the LAN can't see the m0n0.

This is what I've done.

On booting the first time I selected
"1", "ENTER" to assign ports.
The screen shows the "Valid interfaces are ..."
"n" "ENTER" to VLANS.
"a" "ENTER" to auto select.
plug in cable from LAN switch and press "ENTER"
The guide shows a reboot so
"5" "ENTER", "y" "ENTER".

After the reboot, I can't "ping 192.168.1.1" from either a client with
DHCP or a client with a static IP. The DHCP client can't get a lease.

Back on m0n0 I check the LAN setup.
"2" "ENTER" to setup LAN.
"192.168.1.1" "ENTER" to IP Address.
"24" "ENTER" to subnet mask.
"y" "ENTER" to DHCP server.
"192.168.1.100" "ENTER" to start range.
"192.168.1.254" "ENTER" to end range.
"ENTER" to continue.
"5" "ENTER", "y" "ENTER" to reboot.

Same, can't ping 192.168.1.1

I've noticed m0n0 shows the LAN interface as being (up) next to the
correct interface.
I tried setting the LAN interface name manually, same.
I tried turning off the DHCP server (not sure why) but, same.
I tried setting factory defaults, same.
I tried 4 different NIC's, m0n0 only recognised 3 and on those still could
not ping.
I tried another cable, same.
I tried jumping out of the top storey window but I changed my mind just in
time.

Can I "ping" from the m0n0 console?

OK, I'm getting desparate here, I can't give up and I can't go on.
Any advice with m0n0 (or indeed my unbalanced state) would be gratefully
received.

tia
Lindsay