[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problems with X-Modem CE in half bridge mode
 Date:  Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:38:52 +0000

> > The reason my internet connection drops is that m0n0wall receives
> > DHCPNAK from 10.0.0.2 (the modem).  To reconnect I have currently been
> > entering "route delete default" and "route add default -interface
> > -link sis1" in exec.php after which the m0n0wall gets its IP address
> > again and everything is fine for a while (around 15 minutes) until it
> > happens again.
>
> Is your "real" connection is via PPTP, with DHCP only being used to obtain
> a private IP to talk to the modem for the PPTP link (since this is typical
> of PPPoA setups)?  I hope it's not actually trying to use DHCP on a PPTP
> link (at least not for address determination).
>
> If this is the case, you should be able to avoid the trouble by statically
> configuring the Ethernet IP for the WAN.  Almost anything in the 10.0.0.x
> range should work, but you could look at what gets assigned by the modem.

Are you using a DSL-330T or similar ADSL/Ethernet modem in 'bridged' mode?  If
you are (and I guess this from your routing table manipulation) then you
probably need to check back into the archives for a patch to /sbin/
dhclient-script that was made available back in October/November.  I have
sent a tidied up version of this to Manuel for inclusion in a later Beta - in
the meantime you will have to install it yourself.

The patch basically reproduces your steps  every time a new DHCP config is
received.

I have this sort of setup working very well (with excellent stability) at
multiple locations now and would enthusiastically promote it as a good
solution to PPPoA users (especially in the UK).  The kit is very cheap,
config is easy and once the line is up the ADSL modem steps out of the way
(no more double-NAT woes, or messing around with ADSL routers that want to be
firewalls).

Peter

Peter Curran				  Leveraging Internet Technology
Close Consultants			       for Businesses
p: +44-1225-463700
f: +44-1225-463705
e: peter at closeconsultants dot com
sip: peter at closeconsultants dot com