[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Clients can't see m0n0 (new install)
 Date:  Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:51:51 +0000
> Same, can't ping 192.168.1.1
>
> I've noticed m0n0 shows the LAN interface as being (up) next to the
> correct interface.
> I tried setting the LAN interface name manually, same.
> I tried turning off the DHCP server (not sure why) but, same.
> I tried setting factory defaults, same.
> I tried 4 different NIC's, m0n0 only recognised 3 and on those still could
> not ping.
> I tried another cable, same.
> I tried jumping out of the top storey window but I changed my mind just in
> time.
>
> Can I "ping" from the m0n0 console?
>
> OK, I'm getting desparate here, I can't give up and I can't go on.
> Any advice with m0n0 (or indeed my unbalanced state) would be gratefully
> received.

I assume that you are talking the generic-pc build?

Try and capture the output of the kernel as it boots - look for entries that
correspond to your network cards (what are they by the way?) and make sure
they look sane with no errors.

In my experience , if the kernel finds 'em, prints out a MAC address and and
an IRQ, then they are probably working OK.  Make a note of the names and then
proceed to the m0n0 console and configure the mapping between the physical
network devices and the logical m0n0 devices LAN and WAN.

Then you will need a reboot, then set your addresses up and see if it works.

Peter
Peter Curran				  Leveraging Internet Technology
Close Consultants			       for Businesses
p: +44-1225-463700
f: +44-1225-463705
e: peter at closeconsultants dot com
sip: peter at closeconsultants dot com