[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  DevAuto <devauto at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Captive Portal Question
 Date:  Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:48:46 -0500
I am trying to set up the captive portal so that I can limit access
through the portal to certain times of day. I have searched through
all the documentation, read the FAQs, checked through the archives,
and read everything I could find on the captive portal (okay, so I
didn't actually read it all, I scanned it pretty quickly for the
relevant information), but could not find what I was looking for.

What I would like to do is allow access through the portal for a
specific time period, say 9:00 A.M. EST. to 9:00 P.M. EST. If
possible, I would also like to log usage statistics such as when hosts
connected, how long they were connected, when they disconnected, etc.
During "off-hours" only specific systems would be allowed access via
the "pass through" option. I don't want to add additional network
resources into the mix if I don't have to, the portal will suffice for
my needs if it is configurable for what I want to do. The most
important thing is disallowing access during certain periods of time.
I am syncing against a central time server, so accurate timing should
not be an issue.

Is there anyway to do what I want with the captive portal? Is anyone
already doing this? If the portal is not capable of this, is there
some other feature of m0n0 that is? If m0n0 itself is not capable of
this, does anyone have any suggestions on how this might be
accomplished? Do I need to setup additional servers for authentication
and access? If this has already been addressed or I have missed
something in the archives, I apologize, please point me in the right
direction.

TIA,
DevAuto
--
Failure is not an option ... it comes bundled with your Micro$oft solution!