[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "roland" <for underscore spam at gmx dot de>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall inside VMWare
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:10:26 +0100
Hello,
i`m new to m0n0wall and from my first point of view it seems to be really great.
I want to test it (and later use it) under VMWare to create a virtual firewall system.
unfortunately it don`t get it to function properly
I tried v1.2b3 and v1.11 - and both recognice the virtual pcnet network adapters:

LAN -> sis0
WAN -> sis1

After configuring the ip, i cannot reach the system. (LAN is bridged via /dev/vmnet0)
I also configured a different virtual adapter type in the .vmx file (ethernetX.virtualDev =
"vlance") but that seems to make no
difference.
When I choose 1) and assign interfaces/network ports, I see the correct MAC Adresses of the NICs -
but when I choose autodetection,
the tool tells me "No link-up detected". I`m sure there is a link, because there are three linux
boxes running on the same host
without any problem.

I use VMWare 5 latest beta. It runs perfect with Linux, Windows and all other OSses I tried.

Can anybody give me a hint what I can do to further dig into the problem and probably solve it ?
Can I get a shell in m0n0wall and is there something like a mii-tool/ethtool (as in linux) ?

Regards
Roland

       To:  "rzirzi" <rzirzi at konrad dot pl>, <rzirzi at konrad dot pl>
       From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
       Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on vmware
       Date:  Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:35:00 +0000

Robert

Make sure that your VM is set to use the vlance devices type (vmxnet is
selected by default for some guest OS's).

Make sure you run the generic or iso version of m0n0 - none of the other
images have a generic kernel, so won't find any of the VMware network
devices.

It does work - I use VMware extensively for development and testing  - you
just need to fiddle arounf with the settings until you find one that works
for you.

Rgds

Peter

On Monday 06 December 2004 21:35, rzirzi wrote:
> hello,
>
> i can't run m0nowall on vmware, because
> it isn't detecting virtual LAN-cards. Why?
>
> Robert

believed to be clean.