[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: users configuration
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:24:25 -0500
Nicolas Moffa wrote:
> Thank you for your answer but I think that you don't unsderstand
> really my problem.
>
> Students use more and more network configurations outside OFF campus
> (static IP, server proxy,...). Consequently, configurations are
> completly different for each student. If we must change all
> configurations of each mobile computer, it is a job too much
> complicated.
>
> This is why i would like that students, when they come ON campus
> (with their mobile computer for example), do not have anything to
> change in their configuration (outside configuration : family,...).
>
> We could call that : "Plug & Play configuration".
> Students ON campus, launch browser and access to the web after the
> authentication page without changes.
>
> m0n0wall 1.2b3 could not manage it ??
> If not, in a future version perhaps ??

What you are talking about is a matter for the operating system on the
student's machine. The configuration when the machine is off campus
may or may not be able to work on campus. The campus network and the
home network are different networks with different IP subnets,
gateways etc. If the student's machine is set to use a dynamic
configuration (DHCP), then the machine will adapt itself to the campus
network (i.e. get a campus IP, use the campus gateway, etc). AFAIK,
this is the default network configuration with most OS's on the
market.

As Henning Wangerin stated, the bottom line there is not a way to
affect the configuration of the students portable machines. You can
publish instructions on how to configure these portable machines to
access the network, but you cannot control if the users follow the
instructions.

If you are trying to allow the "off campus" IPs to work on you campus
network, this will never work. The reason is basic routing.

James W. McKeand