[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "C. Falconer" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  'roland' <for underscore spam at gmx dot de>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Answers - [m0n0wall] m0n0wall inside VMWare
 Date:  Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:38:36 +1300
Okay - looks like you can't allocate more than three NICs in version 4.5.2
of vmware.  I've assigned the distribution ISO file as a virtual IDE cdrom,
and set that as the boot device in the bios.

You have to have a hard drive too, mine's set to 100 Mb (the smallest) but
you can remove it once the machine is configured.  You cannot disable scsi
though, even if theres no scsi devices left in the virtual system.  That
means you're stuck with the "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle"
message and the timeout.

Mine showed only one network interface, which is lnc0 because the second and
third are AMD Pcnet cards.

You can use a floppy image too, rather than a real disk in a real drive...
That's nifty.

One major problem is that m0n0wall 1.11 does not appear to save its settings
to the floppy image.  When I assign network interfaces the data is not saved
to the floppy disk. I had to use a real floppy drive which worked fine, but
stops me using that drive at any other time.

I've set my interfaces and IP correctly, but I can't get to the web GUI.  I
can't ping that IP either, but that's probably ICMP being ignored.  arp on
the host machine does not show the MAC address of lnc0 either.

Now I'm trying the same config disk with m0n0wall 1.2b3

This version complains that /dev/rtc is not available (which it wasn't, is
now)
And I can ping it, and access the web GUI and everything.

Summary... It looks like 1.11 doesn't work very well with vmware, but 1.2
and onwards do.  The NICs have to be vlance, not vmxnet.  Floppy image
doesn't seem to work under 1.11 or 1.2b3.

       From:  Peter Curran <lists at closeconsultants dot com>
       Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on vmware
       Date:  Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:35:00 +0000

Robert

Make sure that your VM is set to use the vlance devices type (vmxnet is
selected by default for some guest OS's).

Make sure you run the generic or iso version of m0n0 - none of the other
images have a generic kernel, so won't find any of the VMware network
devices.

It does work - I use VMware extensively for development and testing  - you
just need to fiddle arounf with the settings until you find one that works
for you.

Rgds

Peter

On Monday 06 December 2004 21:35, rzirzi wrote:
> hello,
>
> i can't run m0nowall on vmware, because
> it isn't detecting virtual LAN-cards. Why?
>
> Robert

believed to be clean.