[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: users configuration
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:03:28 -0500
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:28:50 +0100, Nicolas Moffa <nicolas dot moffa at free dot fr> wrote:
> Thank you for your answer but I think that you don't unsderstand really my
> problem.
>
> Students use more and more network configurations outside OFF campus (static IP,
> server proxy,...). Consequently, configurations are completly different for each
> student. If we must change all configurations of each mobile computer, it is a
> job too much complicated.
>
> This is why i would like that students, when they come ON campus (with their
> mobile computer for example), do not have anything to change in their
> configuration (outside configuration : family,...).
>
> We could call that : "Plug & Play configuration".
> Students ON campus, launch browser and access to the web after the
> authentication page without changes.

This makes more sense.  In a proper network setup, this won't work
under any circumstances.  However I know there are many commercial hot
spot providers that somehow make this work.  Proxy ARP is a part of it
for sure, but I don't know of the details on how the rest of it works.

I don't know of any open source package that has this type of
functionality.  It's certainly not currently supported in m0n0wall,
and may or may not be in the future.  If anybody has any technical
details on how this type of implementation works, I'd really like to
see them.

-Chris