[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: users configuration
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:14:42 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:28:50 +0100, Nicolas Moffa <nicolas dot moffa at free dot fr> wrote:
>
>>Thank you for your answer but I think that you don't unsderstand really my
>>problem.
>>
>>Students use more and more network configurations outside OFF campus (static IP,
>>server proxy,...). Consequently, configurations are completly different for each
>>student. If we must change all configurations of each mobile computer, it is a
>>job too much complicated.
>>
>>This is why i would like that students, when they come ON campus (with their
>>mobile computer for example), do not have anything to change in their
>>configuration (outside configuration : family,...).
>>
>>We could call that : "Plug & Play configuration".
>>Students ON campus, launch browser and access to the web after the
>>authentication page without changes.
>>

> This makes more sense.  In a proper network setup, this won't work
> under any circumstances.  However I know there are many commercial hot
> spot providers that somehow make this work.  Proxy ARP is a part of it
> for sure, but I don't know of the details on how the rest of it works.

Wouldn't most places make this work by making sure you set your network
adapter to get an IP via DHCP?

I don't know of very many people who set their laptop's IP statically.

Anyways, if you insist that the students do this, then it takes the work
burden off you, which is always a good thing.

As far as proxy setups go, by default, IE looks for a server called
'proxy', and attempts to download a file called proxy.pac, which is a
short Javascript file telling the browser where and when it should use
the proxy server.

Graham