[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Answers - [m0n0wall] m0n0wall inside VMWare
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:36:53 -0500
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:38:36 +1300, C. Falconer
<cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz> wrote:

> Mine showed only one network interface, which is lnc0 because the second and
> third are AMD Pcnet cards.

They all (IIRC) are AMD pcnet, which is covered by the lnc driver.

The majority of the m0n0wall docs are written using several VMware
virtual machines.  Since VMware 5.0 beta, it's been with a VM team.
1.11 and 1.2b's both work fine for me.  Sounds like you guys might be
using Linux as a host OS though, and I use XP Pro.  Not sure if that
makes much/any difference.

> You can use a floppy image too, rather than a real disk in a real drive...
> That's nifty.
>
> One major problem is that m0n0wall 1.11 does not appear to save its settings
> to the floppy image.  When I assign network interfaces the data is not saved
> to the floppy disk. I had to use a real floppy drive which worked fine, but
> stops me using that drive at any other time.

If you just hit create in VMware to create a blank img, it's not
formatted.  m0n0wall won't use an unformatted disk, it has to be FAT
formatted.

You can mount the img in another VM and format it, or I've made it
easy for you with this formatted VMware floppy image.  :)
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/floppy.flp

There is a m0n0wall config on there already for a 3 interface virtual
machine using the default admin/mono login and probably some IP
settings and maybe some other configuration from my m0n0wall test
environment.  You probably want to reset factory after booting up with
this disk image because there's no telling what I did to that config.
:)

> I've set my interfaces and IP correctly, but I can't get to the web GUI.  I
> can't ping that IP either, but that's probably ICMP being ignored.  arp on
> the host machine does not show the MAC address of lnc0 either.

The interface assignment isn't as straight forward as it is on real
systems, so my first guess is you assigned them wrong.  Or, if you put
them all on the same broadcast domain (bridged them all to a single
physical NIC), m0n0wall tends to act weird in that setup.

I've been meaning to document my VMware testing setup for a while now
because it's really cool, if I do say so myself.  :)  I won't get into
it much more here for now, I'll write up something more formal later.

-Chris