[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: users configuration
 Date:  Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:16:17 -0500
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:14:42 -0500, Graham Dunn <gdunn at inscriber dot com> wrote:

> > This makes more sense.  In a proper network setup, this won't work
> > under any circumstances.  However I know there are many commercial hot
> > spot providers that somehow make this work.  Proxy ARP is a part of it
> > for sure, but I don't know of the details on how the rest of it works.
>
> Wouldn't most places make this work by making sure you set your network
> adapter to get an IP via DHCP?

Most, yes.  But I've seen several hotels where you can have literally
any IP address, and you can get on the internet.  They do have a DHCP
server that'll assign you an IP within a private range, but if you
have a static IP configuration that also works as well.

I glanced at the instructions after I was using it (on DHCP 192.168.
net) for a while and saw that they claimed it would work with any
static IP setup.  So for the hell of it (really curious if it'd
actually work that way), I changed my IP to 1.2.3.4/24 with gateway
1.2.3.1 and some oddball DNS server.  Worked with that.  Now I wish I
had messed with it more, and sniffed the line to see what it was
doing, but I had actual work to do at the time.  Next time I run
across a setup like that I'll mess with it more.

-Chris