[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Justin Sirois'" <justin at onthez dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall FTP settings
 Date:  Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:37:29 -0000
> It looks like that requires a dedicated external IP, and that
> the FTP is passive.
> I'm trying to set up active and I don't have a dedicated IP
> I'm using ZoneEdit as a dynamic DNS.
> Also, my FTP server isn't assigned a static IP address.
> Is there an easy way to route ports 20 and 21 to the ftp
> server based on MAC address, or the hostname?

I've deleted half of the messages for this thread, so apologies if some of
this has been covered earlier.

I'm running an FTP here using a semi-dynamic IP (changes every few weeks)
and the DynDNS service (similar to ZoneEdit). You do not need a dedicated IP
for your FTP server. You do not need to forward port 20 at all.

Here's my firewall setup:

Proto | Source | Port | Dest | Port

TCP  *  *  Cronus  21 (FTP)
TCP  *  *  Cronus  23580 - 23590

Cronus is an alias pointing to the internal IP of the FTP box. You'll also
need the equivalent port forwarding rules.

There is absolutely no need to forward port 20 - it's used for outgoing data
in active mode only. It's outgoing, not incoming, so the default firewall
allow rule should catch it.

What you do need in passive mode, though, is a range of ports to allow the
server to connect "back" to the client. Choose a few ports (you'll not need
many - allow the maximum number of concurrent connections you expect to get)
at random and port forward those. Obviously you'll need to tell your FTP
server to use this range as its PASV port range (most FTPs will default to
using any port from 1024-65535 unless you tie them down to specific ports).

That's it.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579