[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Braden McGrath" <braden at mcmail dot homeip dot net>
 To:  <asonm at kkipc dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] NTP settings
 Date:  Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:23:17 -0500
> Reason i put in 6 minutes is to check whether the box time is in sync.
> Logs from the firewall shows that the date is still in 2004
> and the time is 12 hours behind our time..logs from the our
> syslog server also shows the same.
Understandable.  The 12 hours behind could be caused by an incorrect
time zone somewhere - make sure m0n0 knows what zone you are in as well
as the syslog server...  Unless you're doing all logging in GMT or
something, at which point you should make sure all the devices know this
is the case too.  ;)

Is your hardware a PC, and does it ever get powered off?  It could be a
bad CMOS battery fouling things up.  Another thing to keep in mind is
that many implementations of NTP don't like to make gross adjustments to
time beyond a certain point.  I've seen systems that have been off by a
month and it won't set the time because of this.  Try to manually get it
within at least a few minutes by changing it in the CMOS if needed...

> For the external NTP server, i'm using an IP by the way.
If this is the case, you shouldn't need a DNS server for it to work...

> On the "checkbox for 'allow WAN to override'"..in which menu is that?
http://m0n0wall/system.php (the "General setup" item)
Found in the "DNS servers" section as "Allow DNS server list to be
overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN".

If you manually set an address in the fields you don't need this
checkbox - you may not even need it if you leave them blank, but I'm not
sure and haven't tested that.

--Braden