[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Braden McGrath" <braden at mcmail dot homeip dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Access DSL Modem from behind M0n0
 Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:22:05 -0500
> I have a SpeedTouch Home DSL Modem
>
> Is there something I can setup/edit on the M0n0 box so I can
> access the line stats webpage and the telnet access in the
> modem from the lan?

Depends on how the modem works...  My Motorola cable modem will answer
any and all requests to 192.168.100.1.

M0n0walls are too "smart" and won't send a "bogus" request out the WAN
port, *unlesS* you tell it that "WAN is 10/8, 192.168/16, or 172.16/12
subnet".  (Don't remember the wording of the option and I'm not near my
m0n0 right now to check.)  If you do that, it should pass traffic to
those subnets out the WAN interface, and if your DSL modem does the same
as my cable modem, you should be able to get the status page.

However, this also means you don't get "free" blocking from those
subnets on your WAN port.  If you enable this setting, I would setup
firewall rules to block all traffic destined to those subnets (or coming
from those subnets) with the exception of the single IP that the modem
speaks on.

--Braden