[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Nasuta <tcslv at cox dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Horrible performance..
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:54:49 -0800
As a pfsense user I decided to try the original m0n0wall today since
the latest pfsense versions have been routinely broken for me. So I
downloaded both 1.11 and 1.2b3 and made the CD's etc and loaded them
on the same machine that was running pfsense SUPERBLY (before the last
few versions).

I expected about the same performance with a little better stability
since m0n0wall was on the 4.x series BSD but I have gotten the exact
opposite. Stability is fine but I have GOD AWEFUL performance with
m0n0wall.

I have 5mb cable and with pfsense I was getting just about same
speed than even without a router (straight to internet). With M0n0wall
(both latest versions) the Internet CRAWLS for me. Webpages load like
dial-up, etc. I did a dslreports speedtest out of curiousity and it
came back with 45 kbs down and 25kbs up!! M0n0wall turns my cable
modem into Dial-up. I only have one rule added to firewall and the
rest is pretty much default.

Ohh, the specs are an old Compaq machine with a P233, 64mb RAM, and
(2) 3Com PCI NICS.

--
Best regards,
 Scott N.                       mailto:tcslv at cox dot net