[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Beta 1.2b5
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:41:20 -0500
Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've finally found the time to make a new m0n0wall beta release:
> 1.2b5! I'm sorry that it took so long.
>
> Before anyone asks: 1.2b4 has been skipped since I made a non-public
> release with that version number and don't want to cause further
> confusion.
>
> I'm happy to report that m0n0wall 1.2b5 is the first release to be
> based on FreeBSD 5.3, rather than the old (and stable) 4.x series.

Wow! This is exciting! Thanks Manuel!

I haven't actually installed 1.2b5 yet (still at work, currently), but
I can think of two points of interest between 5.3 and 4.x besides
the new hardware drivers:

1.) We should run some throughput tests on standard hardware (Soekris 48xx
    and WRAP, and lastly maybe generic PC) and see what the difference is
    between 5.3 and 4.x. That should be *really* interesting.

    Maybe 5.3 has fixed the throughput issues on a 48xx with a vpn card?

2.) Should we start releasing SMP Generic PC firmware?? 5.3 should have
    a much improved SMP capable network stack now, and most of the popular
    NIC drivers (like fxp) should include fine grained locking. Would an
    SMP m0n0wall make sense now?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,