[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Beta 1.2b5
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:41:20 -0500
Manuel Kasper wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I've finally found the time to make a new m0n0wall beta release:
> 1.2b5! I'm sorry that it took so long.
> Before anyone asks: 1.2b4 has been skipped since I made a non-public
> release with that version number and don't want to cause further
> confusion.
> I'm happy to report that m0n0wall 1.2b5 is the first release to be
> based on FreeBSD 5.3, rather than the old (and stable) 4.x series.

Wow! This is exciting! Thanks Manuel!

I haven't actually installed 1.2b5 yet (still at work, currently), but
I can think of two points of interest between 5.3 and 4.x besides
the new hardware drivers:

1.) We should run some throughput tests on standard hardware (Soekris 48xx
    and WRAP, and lastly maybe generic PC) and see what the difference is
    between 5.3 and 4.x. That should be *really* interesting.

    Maybe 5.3 has fixed the throughput issues on a 48xx with a vpn card?

2.) Should we start releasing SMP Generic PC firmware?? 5.3 should have
    a much improved SMP capable network stack now, and most of the popular
    NIC drivers (like fxp) should include fine grained locking. Would an
    SMP m0n0wall make sense now?

Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,
P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v)  423-559-5145 (f)