[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Iedema <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 To:  jesse at wingnet dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Beta 1.2b5
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:56:07 +0100
Greetings,

>>I'm happy to report that m0n0wall 1.2b5 is the first release to be
>>based on FreeBSD 5.3, rather than the old (and stable) 4.x series.
>
> Wow! This is exciting! Thanks Manuel!

Agreed!  Very nice to have the first glimpses of the 'G' world in
m0n0wall now.

> 2.) Should we start releasing SMP Generic PC firmware?? 5.3 should have
>     a much improved SMP capable network stack now, and most of the popular
>     NIC drivers (like fxp) should include fine grained locking. Would an
>     SMP m0n0wall make sense now?

I will finally have access to a FreeBSD system to update my m0n0SMP
build.  If Mr. Kasper would like to take it over that's cool too but I
will be able to provide a new version next week sometime.  Either way,
yes we're looking at much improved SMP support for some of those funky
high-end systems that are floating around on this list.  Would love to
see what kind of benchmarks we're looking at on the high side of the
speed scale!

Thanks again Manuel for the release!  Let the (hopefully extremely few)
bug fixes for 5.3 get sorted out and I can't wait to try out m0n0 1.2 on
my dual box.

Ok, enough excitement....back to homework.

--Michael I.