[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall dash announce at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall-announce] Beta 1.2b5
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:12:10 -0500
Manuel Kasper wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've finally found the time to make a new m0n0wall beta release:
>1.2b5! I'm sorry that it took so long.
>
>Before anyone asks: 1.2b4 has been skipped since I made a non-public
>release with that version number and don't want to cause further
>confusion.
>
>I'm happy to report that m0n0wall 1.2b5 is the first release to be
>based on FreeBSD 5.3, rather than the old (and stable) 4.x series. So
>far, the transition has gone much better than I expected, and even
>though a lot of little nasty issues have shown up again (things like
>the dreaded ipf/ipfw processing order issue [fixed]) or are yet to
>show up, I'm confident that FreeBSD 5.3 provides a good base
>operating system for m0n0wall in the future. Each and every binary
>has been recompiled and all patches (kernel, userland and 3rd party
>programs) have been carefully reviewed and either thrown out (as was
>- luckily - the case for some kernel patches) or modified to make
>them work with 5.3.
>
>FreeBSD 5.3 finally gives us, among other things, support for
>Atheros-based 11a/b/g wireless cards. I've made the necessary
>adjustments to the webGUI and conducted a few basic tests.
>
>I still have several contributed patches lying around, waiting to be
>integrated. Also, Fred Wright's ipfilter window scaling and IPsec new
>SA preferral patches aren't in this release yet because they may need
>changes for 5.3 (especially the IPsec one). Furthermore, the OpenVPN
>support in this release may be broken, but it'll be replaced by a
>reworked version (that doesn't clobber the optional interfaces
>configuration anymore) as soon as Peter Curran gives me the go-ahead.
>All of these things will probably happen in the next release - for
>now, I wanted to focus on moving to 5.3.
>
>Note that 32 MBs of RAM are now definitely no longer enough to run
>1.2b5 (it's been marginal even with earlier versions). Also, 1.2b5 is
>definitely *NOT* for use in production environments (unless you call
>your home network a production environment too ;). I've tested each
>image on the corresponding platform to make sure that it at least
>boots, but that's about it. You've been warned.
>
>Last but not least, make sure that your browser isn't using an old
>version of the webGUI CSS (clear the cache if needed), as there have
>been some changes (most notably on the firewall rule page).
>
>Please see the m0n0wall home page for the detailed change log and the
>downloads:
>
>http://m0n0.ch/wall/beta.php
>
>Enjoy!
>
>- Manuel

Just a note, upon installing this release, I found that my IP Telephone
(Vonage) would no longer work no matter what I did.  I put an all pass
firewall rule, disabled the traffic shaper, nothing.  Downgraded back to
1.2B3, phone working fine again.  Everything else seemed to work fine
except the AH IPsec tunnel I had, which would establish, but not pass
any packets.  The ESP based IPsec tunnels all worked fine.  Again,
downgrading to 1.2B3 got that single AH based tunnel working fine again
without any configuration changes.  Manuel, if you want/need anything
from me to solve these issues say the word.

--Chris