[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Scott Nasuta <tcslv at cox dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re[7]: [m0n0wall] Horrible performance..
 Date:  Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:36:54 -0800
Hello Manuel,

> Well it's possible that something has been fixed in the xl driver
> between FreeBSD 4.10 and 5.3... so try 1.2b5 and get back to us. :)

Just a quick follow-up. The new 1.2b5 works MUCH better for me. I am
getting about 1700kbs now (to a speed test site) which is similar to
what I usually get, though Still way short of my record of 3400kbs
(through pfsense nontheless) not too long ago. But I sense this has to
do with my ISP and it's "all-over the map" speeds they supply me with
(I have 5mb Cox cable which I never have seen that high anyway).

One thing I did notice with the new 1.2b5 vs the older versions is
that my Memory Usage percentage has climbed to 45-50% instead of the
low 30's I was getting with 1.2b3.

So the new FreeBSD 5x based m0n0wall has made the difference for me
and most likely is the reason pfsense was fine out of the box as well.

Out of curiousity I will do some ftp transfer tests tonight through
m0n0 and straight to internet to compare if I am losing speed with
m0n0. One standard for performance I have is Madden Football online. I
play alot of Madden so I know by now its speeds etc. I was getting 130
ping times (REAL good) with pfsense (I get about same 130 straight to
internet) and I logged on today with m0n0wall 1.2b5 and I got 330 ping
times and they slowly dropped to the 250-260 area and never got
better. One time means nothing so I will monitor these over the next
few days as well.

Ohh, some poking around in the Firewall BIOS and I noticed that BOTH
NICS PLUS the Vid card are using the same IRQ (11). Does this matter
and could effect performance?

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:tcslv at cox dot net