[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  taharka <res00vl8 at alltel dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.2b5
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:47:56 -0500
Manuel Kasper wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've finally found the time to make a new m0n0wall beta release:
>1.2b5! I'm sorry that it took so long.
>
>Before anyone asks: 1.2b4 has been skipped since I made a non-public
>release with that version number and don't want to cause further
>confusion.
>
>I'm happy to report that m0n0wall 1.2b5 is the first release to be
>based on FreeBSD 5.3, rather than the old (and stable) 4.x series. So
>far, the transition has gone much better than I expected, and even
>though a lot of little nasty issues have shown up again (things like
>the dreaded ipf/ipfw processing order issue [fixed]) or are yet to
>show up, I'm confident that FreeBSD 5.3 provides a good base
>operating system for m0n0wall in the future. Each and every binary
>has been recompiled and all patches (kernel, userland and 3rd party
>programs) have been carefully reviewed and either thrown out (as was
>- luckily - the case for some kernel patches) or modified to make
>them work with 5.3.
>
>FreeBSD 5.3 finally gives us, among other things, support for
>Atheros-based 11a/b/g wireless cards. I've made the necessary
>adjustments to the webGUI and conducted a few basic tests.
>
>I still have several contributed patches lying around, waiting to be
>integrated. Also, Fred Wright's ipfilter window scaling and IPsec new
>SA preferral patches aren't in this release yet because they may need
>changes for 5.3 (especially the IPsec one). Furthermore, the OpenVPN
>support in this release may be broken, but it'll be replaced by a
>reworked version (that doesn't clobber the optional interfaces
>configuration anymore) as soon as Peter Curran gives me the go-ahead.
>All of these things will probably happen in the next release - for
>now, I wanted to focus on moving to 5.3.
>
>Note that 32 MBs of RAM are now definitely no longer enough to run
>1.2b5 (it's been marginal even with earlier versions). Also, 1.2b5 is
>definitely *NOT* for use in production environments (unless you call
>your home network a production environment too ;). I've tested each
>image on the corresponding platform to make sure that it at least
>boots, but that's about it. You've been warned.
>
>Last but not least, make sure that your browser isn't using an old
>version of the webGUI CSS (clear the cache if needed), as there have
>been some changes (most notably on the firewall rule page).
>
>Please see the m0n0wall home page for the detailed change log and the
>downloads:
>
>http://m0n0.ch/wall/beta.php
>
>Enjoy!
>
>- Manuel

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for the new beta. Unfortunately, I'm having no luck with the
CDROM version. Beta 1.2b5 sticks in a loop & continuously reboots
displaying the following message.

FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Feb 22 17:25:00 CET 2005
        root at daemon5 dot neon1 dot net:/m0n0wall/kernels/generic-pc
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Cyrix 6x86 (486-class CPU)
     Origin = "CyrixInstead" DIR=0x1731 Stepping=1 Revision=7
real memory = 133169152 (127 MB)
avail memory = 103944192 (99 MB)
kernel trap 1 with interrupts disabled

Fatal trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode
instruction pointer       = 0x8:0xc054797e
stack  pointer               = 0x10:0xc1c21d2c
frame pointer               = 0x10:0xc1c21d48
code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags         = resume, IOPL = 0
current process           = 0 (swapper)
trap number                 = 1
panic: privileged instruction fault
Uptime: 1s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds = press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot,
--> or switch off the system now.

I've reverted back to version 1.2b3 which runs with no problems.

Have a nice day :-))

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.