[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Frans King" <frans dot king at f333 dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  generic PC with Sandisk 128MB
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:18:52 -0000
I'm getting kernel fatal trap errors using a 128MB Sandisk CF card. I know
this has been discussed before and some people using Soekris 4081 have
experienced the same problems.
http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2004-June/021094.html . I
have succeeded in getting a Kingston 128MB CF card to boot without issue.

It has been suggested that LBA mode may be causing the errors (Sandisk auto
detects as LBA, Kingston as CHS) but when I force the BIOS to use CHS the
problem is exactly the same. The other difference is that the Kingston card
uses PIO mode 2 access while the Sandisk is using DMA. M0n0wall seems to try
and access the card in DMA mode, fails and then switches to PIO mode and
this is where the crash happens.

Has anyone had any success with DMA mode CF cards? I suppose it could be my
motherboard/bios as I experienced the same problem with runt (a USB pen
Linux distro) but this was able to set the access mode to PIO without
crashing the OS.

Cheers,

Frans