[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  DevAuto <devauto at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Performance Question, P-90 vs. Soekris Net4501
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:20:46 -0500
Hi,

I have a question about performance differences between a P-90 and the
Soekris 4501 board. I am currently running m0n0 1.2b3 on the following
platforms:

Platform 1: P-90, 80 mb ram, 6gb hard drive, 3 nics (don't remember
which ones, but 2 are pci and one is isa)

Platform 2: Soekris 4501, 64 mb ram, 128 mb flash card

What I have noticed is (according to the Status: System page in the
web interface) that the Soekris consistently runs at approximately
6%-12% cpu usage and 35%-45% memory usage and by contrast the P-90
runs at 45%-55% cpu usage and 65%-75% memory usage.

The rule sets and the configurations, while not identical, are not too
different, mostly basic services, nothing exotic, no VPN, no heavy
logging, etc. The Soekris is deployed on an ADSL connection and the
P-90 is deployed on a cable connection. Inbound traffic appears to be
about the same on both networks. Neither system is offering wireless
services.

I expected the Pentium class m0n0 with 80mb ram would run circles
around the 486 class Soekris with 64mb ram, but the indications are
that the opposite is occurring. Has anyone seen this before? Can
someone  possibly explain why I would be seeing this? I am thoroughly
confused.

The reality is that I do not have any problems passing network traffic
on either platform, but I would like to know why the performance is
the complete opposite of what I would have expected.  That said, if
there is an issue here, is there also a fix?

I can provide more detail if necessary.

TIA,

DevAuto
--
Failure is not an option ... it comes bundled with your Micro$oft solution!