[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Performance Question, P-90 vs. Soekris Net4501
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:57:20 -0500
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:46:37 -0500, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:

> The NSC SC1100 would be the processor in the net4801 (actually
> 266MHz). The net4501 has a 133MHz AMD ElanSC520, thus the 486 class.
>
> So, between running at 133MHz (vs. 90MHz) and the SDRAM (vs. EDO or
> whatever) I believe we have the reasons behind the performance
> difference between a net4501 and a P90 system.
>
> Could the NICs in the P90 also cause problems? How about that ISA
> NIC...

I agree.  I'd look at what NIC's are being used, and get rid of
anything ISA.  All PCI Intels or 3Coms should make it a closer
matchup.

There was recently somebody on the list that I suggested switch to
Intels, and he posted back later saying it fixed the issue he was
having, and also dropped CPU utilization from ~35% to ~7% on a PII
233.  (I don't remember the exact details, but NIC's can make that big
of a difference)

-Chris