 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Webcam and captive portal.
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:07:41 +0100
Hi!

I have a wireless-netcam (surecom nl-401) that I want to allow access to
my file-server for uploading of images to an archive.

My AP (a Dlink DWL-900AP+) is connected to a separate interface on my
m0n0wall that's going to be setup with captive portal.

What would be concidered the bets way to accomplish that?

1) Setup the webcam on a static IP (dhcp for easy handling) and
firewalling so it only can connect to the ftp-server. The cam can be
setup to push new images to the ftp-server automatically.
*PRO
No extra load is cenerated on the server in case of no connection
*CON
the ftp-credentials can be found on air, and the mac/ip hijacked

2) Setup the webcam on a static IP (dhcp for easy handling) and
firewalling so no connections out is possible, and let the server pull
information
*PRO
no credentials on air except eventually a readonly-access to the cam
*CON
the server has to do more error-handling in case of missing connection.

Furthermore the cammera will be accessible from the world via a
http-proxy for pulling realtime images ad videos.

Any tips/arguments on the best solution?

TIA