[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_Nordstr=F6m?= <and at telia dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] link0 flag, was: Performance Question, P-90 vs. Soekris Net4501
 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:45:36 -0500
> That would be me with the reduced CPU load on a PII 233, and the numbers
> cited by Chris are about right.
>
> Jesse, could you explain exactly how to enable "link0"? I can't find it
> explained in the archives.

ifconfig fxpX link0

Where X is the NIC number (fxp0, fxp1, etc...)

Then you'll see something like
fxp0: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec  bundle_max: 6
in your system log.

You can run that from exec.php to try it out.  To have it run at every
boot, put those lines in your config in <shellcmd> parameters (see FAQ
on hidden config.xml options for more info)

Not all cards support this, but it seems to work fine on all the ones
I've tried.

from 'man 4 fxp':
--
     The fxp driver also supports a special link option:

     link0  Some chip revisions have loadable microcode which can be used to
            reduce the interrupt load on the host cpu.  Not all boards have
            microcode support.  Setting the link0 flag with ifconfig(8) will
            download the microcode to the chip if it is available.
--

-Chris