[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  thoughts on PHP as an rc system?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:01:03 -0500
Hello,

As I use m0n0wall I try to identify strengths and
weaknesses. The strengths, I file away in my mind.
The weaknesses, I tend to mull over on a daily
basis. I try to think of ways to fix the weaknesses
without introducing regressions in other areas.

As a programmer, it is easy for me to identify
the strengths associated with a PHP based rc
system in an embedded application like m0n0wall.
Unified web and config language, relatively small
disk footprint, flexibility, familiarity, etc...

However, looking at m0n0wall as a finished product
from the outside in, and without the experience
gained from trial and error, it is much more
difficult for me to identify the weaknesses of a
PHP based rc system.

AFAIK, m0n0wall was the first O/S with a PHP based
rc system, so this question definitely belongs on
this list.

Manuel (and anyone else who may be intimately
familiar with m0n0wall's PHP code), could you please
briefly describe your thoughts on using PHP as an
rc system, or as a general control system for an
embedded application? I'm curious to know obvious
weaknesses, security implications, annoyances in
coding, pitfalls, and overall impressions.

Ultimately, I'm just curious: In your opinion, does
PHP make an excellent rc system? Or is it found
wanting?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,