[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: soekris vpn card
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:11:33 -0500
V----- B------ wrote:

> i want to setup a monowall firewall. I also want it to be a vpn server.
> The soekris machine looks perfect for what i need.
> My question is if the VPN card 1611 from soekris is supported by
> monowall. I'm a newbee to freebsd so i'm not sure about this.
> The card supports freebsd but will it work the way it should with
> Monowall??

We don't have any performance numbers for the FreeBSD 5.3 based 1.2b5
yet (released just a few days ago), but the old FreeBSD 4.x based
1.11 actually performed better on WRAP hardware with a VPN card.

Check out this FAQ entry for the full story:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Soekris + VPN hardware performs
better under a 5.3 kernel, but that's purely speculation as I don't
have any VPN cards.

Once the quirks are worked out of 1.2b5 we really need to do some
new performance benchmarks.

Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,
P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v)  423-559-5145 (f)