[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: soekris vpn card
 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:11:33 -0500
V----- B------ wrote:

> i want to setup a monowall firewall. I also want it to be a vpn server.
> The soekris machine looks perfect for what i need.
>
> My question is if the VPN card 1611 from soekris is supported by
> monowall. I'm a newbee to freebsd so i'm not sure about this.
>
> The card supports freebsd but will it work the way it should with
> Monowall??

We don't have any performance numbers for the FreeBSD 5.3 based 1.2b5
yet (released just a few days ago), but the old FreeBSD 4.x based
1.11 actually performed better on WRAP hardware with a VPN card.

Check out this FAQ entry for the full story:
    http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/faq-performancespecifications.html

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Soekris + VPN hardware performs
better under a 5.3 kernel, but that's purely speculation as I don't
have any VPN cards.

Once the quirks are worked out of 1.2b5 we really need to do some
new performance benchmarks.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,