[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  "Chris Craft" <ccraft at netgenius dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Install to hard drive... the saga continues...
 Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:55:17 -0500
> Now I'm starting to feel retarded.  I've installed FBSD on the hard
> drive with an extra partition (FBSD partition, not DOS partition == FBSD
> slice) for m0n0wall, and haven't got it to boot successfully yet.  I can
> get it to load the kernel and run the software (sort of), but it can
> never get to the config.xml or the executables for the menu options, and
> constantly complains of a read-only file system.  Here are the steps
> I've gone through (after re-trying the dd to the bare drive that didn't
> work for me):
>
> I installed FBSD 4.7 (newest I had) to the drive, using one DOS
> partition == Slice on the drive, occupying the whole drive.  I then
> tried untarring the rootfs tarball there, tried to boot, nada.
> Discovered that the tarball didn't seem to have a kernel (DUH!), and
> proceeded to reinstall FBSD 4.7, and made an extra partition just for
> m0n0wall, untarred the rootfs tarball there, followed the recipe to
> mount the generic image as a device to grab the kernel from there, and
> disovered that that didn't work much better.
>
> Has anyone managed to make m0n0wall work from a regular IDE hard drive?
>
> Sincerely,
> Chris.

Yep, installed the generic-pc image (this was back when PB16 was the newest)
following the directions, worked like a charm right off the bat.  Since
then, I've just done upgrades through the web interface, also works
perfectly.  I'm using some antique P233 MMX AT board with a standard good
old hard drive attached as a master to the primary IDE controller, and 3 NIC
cards plus 1 video card plugged into the 4 available PCI slots.  Certainly
nothing special, just spare parts I scrounged up out of my desk draw.

Chris