[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  Miklos <miklos at microsux dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performance and PC based dev. env.
 Date:  Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:51:01 -0500
Miklos wrote:

> My second question is if anyone has a short guide to a PC based
> developer environment. I will be looking into a http-proxy addon for
> m0n0wall (I haven't seen any yet) and whatever I can contribute with.

My personal take or approach on HTTP proxying is to run Squid in another
box on my network and leave m0n0wall alone to do what it does best.  You
can use Squid config and m0n0wall rules in conjunction to set this up
however you want including incorporating a transparent proxy, or so it
seems.  I am in the planning stages for this and will implement it once
my wallet allows me to get out of planning and into implementing... (I
need another box).

I don't want to cram the m0n0wall list with HTTP proxying issues, but if
others have a brief comment, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

> I dont have any Soekris or PCEngines products to build a developer
> environment, so any help in this direction would be appreciated.

The only help I can offer here is BUY ONE!  The Soekris boxes are
really, really nice.  I like the small appliance footprint.  This is a
great hobbyist box all the way around, not just for m0n0wall.  (Owner of
a Soekris net4511 with a wireless card and dual antennas on the OPT1
interface and *totally* pleased.)

Chris
-----
Chris Olive