[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Spurious <br>s in the web GUI
 Date:  Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:34:11 +0100
On 28.11.2003, at 20:11, Nik Clayton wrote:

> There seem to be spurious <br>s in much of the Web GUI.

> Before I go and clean these up, is there any particular reason for
> them?

Yes. Don't waste your time "cleaning" those up. I decided to manually
hard-wrap the text (mostly hints and field descriptions) to avoid
problems with ugly wrapping and unwanted table cell width expansion,
and also to take control of the minimal form of typography that HTML
permits.

And besides, I happily admit to the world that the m0n0wall webGUI has
been designed to look best with Microsoft Internet Explorer on Windows.
Yes, that's right. I figured that the largest part of the prospective
m0n0wall users (and it was never designed for cracks/*nix users who
would just as well be able to set up a similar system manually on their
own) would probably use that browser. I still think it looks OK with
other browsers like Mozilla or Apple's Safari - as long as the
necessary fonts (Tahoma...) are installed.

Clean-room HTML (as in: works at/in/on all text
sizes/resolutions/fonts/platforms/browsers/...) doesn't work in the
real world... at least it always clashes with pixel-perfect looks -
something I'm pretty fond of. :)

- Manuel