[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Spurious <br>s in the web GUI
 Date:  Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:06:29 +0000
On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:34:11PM +0100, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> And besides, I happily admit to the world that the m0n0wall webGUI has
> been designed to look best with Microsoft Internet Explorer on Windows.
> Yes, that's right. I figured that the largest part of the prospective
> m0n0wall users (and it was never designed for cracks/*nix users who
> would just as well be able to set up a similar system manually on their
> own) would probably use that browser. I still think it looks OK with
> other browsers like Mozilla or Apple's Safari - as long as the
> necessary fonts (Tahoma...) are installed.
>
> Clean-room HTML (as in: works at/in/on all text
> sizes/resolutions/fonts/platforms/browsers/...) doesn't work in the
> real world... at least it always clashes with pixel-perfect looks -
> something I'm pretty fond of. :)

Have you considered using a combination of <div> elements and CSS to get
the pixel perfect positioning you want?  That works well in modern
browsers, and degrades gracefully.

Something like:

    http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout1.html

for example?

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)