[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  albi at saynotomicrosoft dot org
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Spurious <br>s in the web GUI
 Date:  Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:54:39 +0100
On 28.11.2003, at 20:59, albi at saynotomicrosoft dot org wrote:

> i thought m0n0wall was a really cool project, but now i'm starting to
> have
> some doubts..

Oh oh oh, if anybody wanted to start a nice little fierce flame war,
this would be the number one opportunity. ;)

> Galeon, Konqueror, Epiphany-browser, Mozilla-firebird ?
> Linux-starters, FreeBSD-starters ?

Oh crap. Now I'm outed as a user of commercial products. Help!

Seriously - I like to use whatever is best for the job at hand - even
if it's commercial. And of course even more so given the fact that I
still earn most of my money doing work with commercial products.
Unfortunately I can't eat source code. Guess that makes me a traitor.
;)

And now that you know that I did most of the design on m0n0wall's
webGUI in Dreamweaver on a Windows box, you'd better run away from
m0n0wall as fast as you can.

> (how can you choose the most insecure browser of the Internet as your
> main target ?)

Perhaps because I know a lot of people who just use whatever came
installed on their machine for their daily browsing needs? Maybe I just
know the wrong people. I still like them, though. Even if they're using
IE.

> is Tahoma is a freely available font known to all these people ? (i
> never
> heard of it)

I guess it isn't (anymore). I just checked, and I personally think it
looks OK in other fonts like Helvetica, too. Of course, given font size
and/or resolution settings that are weird enough, it can look ugly -
but that is true of most websites that were designed for the eye. :)

> perhaps you should consider making a Tahoma-disclaimer in m0n0wall
> then, as i think i'm not
> the only person *not* using Internet Explorer

I'm not using it on my Apple PowerBook either. Still, the m0n0wall
webGUI looks nice with Apple Safari (another bad commercial plague, I
know - I've heard it is based on Konqueror's rendering engine, though?)
and Mozilla.

OK, I've had enough of this. As Joachim and Fred just pointed out, I
think that this whole
oh-I-won't-use-anything-that-has-Microsoft-written-on-it business is
childish and doesn't get us anywhere. YMMV.

- Manuel